Wednesday 18 June 2014

A Thought On Goals

A few days ago I've stumbled upon this quote by Tom Bodett:

 "They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do and something to hope for." 

And it kept on haunting me until now. I have someone to love, thats for sure. Something to do? Well, I'm blogging right now, thats one thing amongst many others which I do. But what am I hoping for? What is my goal?

Having a goal, no matter how big, adds a lot of quality to life. It could be any kind of goal. Acquiring a new skill, a trip around the world, saving money for something you want, filling all the pages of your photo album, and so on.




I still remember my first time saving up for something I really wanted but couldn't easily get. I was in my mid teens and got infatuated with BJDs (Ball Jointed Dolls). It was an expensive love, too expensive to hope for it as a birthday present. I earned money by completing chores and doing whatever small work I could for months until I saved up enough to buy it. It was tough and it took a really long time, but when I finally bought the doll and held her in my hands I felt extremely fulfilled and proud of myself.



Goals which you work hard towards reaching become just that much more special to you when you finally completed them. It really isn't only about the goal itself but also about the path you took to reach it.

Your hopes and wishes can take on all sorts of forms and require different levels of hard work and motivation. But they are worth it. Because what would you do without them?

These days, I sometimes felt a lack of motivation and happiness. But I didn't know why. There is nothing wrong, I should be happy with what I have.

But after reading the above mentioned quote, I realized that I am living each day completing tasks and daily chores which have no ultimate goal. And I want to change that. I want to live my life more thoroughly.

I decided to find a new goal. Something big. I'm not sure what it will be, but once I found it I will make sure to share it here! Until then, it is my goal to find a goal! Haha.

Want to share your goals, hopes and wishes? Please do so in the comments!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this inspirational post! I am also struggling with what to hope for. Most currently, I am trying to find the perfect apartment or home. But when that is over, then what? Before having my son last October, my goal was to finish writing the first book in the series I am working on with a friend. I suppose I should soon make that a priority again, once he's a little older. Now that I'm typing this, my imagination is alive with ideas for goals. So, thanks so much for reminding me I need to care about that part of my life!

    ReplyDelete